Marwood is a rural Parish just over three miles north of Barnstaple. Marwood is one of several hamlets that are spread across the Parish with Prixford, Kingsheanton and Guineaford being the most populated. There is a Primary School, Nursery, three Churches, The Muddiford Inn and two main halls where the community meets.
On an island in the middle lake at Marwood Hill Gardens is a sculpture of a mother and children by John Robinson, who also sculpted the font-cover in the 13th-century church at Marwood. A bronze sculpture of two swans arising from the lower lake was created by Jonathan Cox. This painting by Eric George (b. 1881) should also be recognized as a beautiful representation of the area.