RRFW4647

Glasgow, John Knox Monument, Pamela Drew, 1936

Glasgow, Gaelic Glaschu, city, west-central Scotland. It is situated along both banks of the River Clyde 20 miles (32 km) from that river’s mouth on the western, or Atlantic, coast. Glasgow is Scotland’s largest city, and it forms an independent council area that lies entirely within the historic county of Lanarkshire.

Pamela Drew was born in Burnley and was the eldest daughter of John M. Drew, a well-known calico painter. At an early age Pamela Drew took art classes at Christchurch in Hampshire before studying at the Grosvenor School of Modern Art in London, where her younger sister Diana Drew also studied. In 1928, Pamela went to Paris to study under Roger Chastel. She exhibited in 1936 with the Royal Institute of Oil Painters. The same year she designed a poster for Shell as part of their Visit Britain campaign.The following year Drew married the fourth Baron Rathdonnell and took up residence at Lisnavagh House at Rathvilly in County Carlow.

This statue stands in tribute to John Knox, one of the most prominent members of the Scottish Reformation. The statue depicts John Knox wearing his Geneva gown with his right arm half extended and holding a Bible in his right hand. The statue sits atop a 17m Doric column. So high in fact that it's kind of difficult to see clearly except on a clear day.

Sign up for our Newsletter