Gros Pavilion: Le Chateau de Fontainbleau
Between 1750 and 1754, the King commissioned the architect Ange-Jacques Gabriel to build a new wing along the Cour de la Fontaine and the fish pond. The old Pavilion des Poeles was demolished and replaced by the Gros Pavilion, built of cream-colored stone. Lavish new apartments were created inside this building for the King and the Queen. The new meeting room for the Royal Council was decorated by the leading painters of the day, including Francois Boucher, Carle Vanloo, Jean-Baptiste Marie Pierre and Alexis Peyrotte.